From my brief tutorial in after effects I actually felt really confident in doing everything that I had planned except for the movement in the first sequence. I had decided that I wanted the type to draw itself onto the grid structure, so found some tutorials on how I could do this and followed them. 

These were my 3 practice tries just to see which worked the strongest. 

These first to variations use the stroke effect, where a stroke is created from the vector and is drawn out. 

This sequences uses a mask that is drawn over the vector ( was very difficult to draw!) and then is taken away to reveal the image below. 

Although the most difficult to create, I decided the 3rd variation was the one I wanted to pursue.