DESIGN PUBLICATION  CONTENT |

Paul Rand




















I read Paul Rand quite a lot during COP and his thoughts towards/about design. Although I don't see Paul Rand directly as an inspiration, i do find a lot of what he has said really inspiring and relevant to my practice.


I have decided to collect the quotes that mean something to me: 

"Good design adds value of some kind, gives meaning, and, not incidentally, can be sheer pleasure to behold: it respects the views sensibility and rewards the entrepreneur."

"The roots of graphic design lie in aesthetics: painting, drawing and architecture, while those of business and market research are in demo-graphics and statistics: aesthetics and business are traditionally incompatible disciplines."

"I just like things that are playful; I like things that are happy; I like things that will make the client smile."

"I always steered towards humorous things. People who don't have a sense of humour really have serious problems."

"Ideas are fuel for the imagination. They are the unique response to a meaningful question."

"The role of the imagination is to create new meanings and discover that, even if obvious, seem to escape detection. Imagination begins with intuition, not intellect."